Monday, April 25, 2011

Outer Banks Expedition-- Our Island Campsite. By Evan Harr

4-25-11
During the Outer Banks expedition, we only went canoe paddling for two days. The first day we paddled three miles to an island. It was a bird sanctuary and a beach. On one side was the Atlantic Ocean, and on the other side was the Pamlico Sound.
At this island there were quite a few things to do. We could swim in the ocean, go fishing, climb on buoys, and more. I had a lot of fun playing war and digging holes. We even made a tunnel that connected the two holes. We also built a dolphin and mermaid out of sand.
During this hole-digging contest, we saw a stingray get beached up on shore. He flopped around a little bit, then flipped over and swam back into the water. It was an amazing sight to see.
When I went fishing, I left my pole stuck I the sand, and It fell into the water when I was gone. When I came back, I couldn’t find it, and I thought a fish took off with it. Luckily, Tristan found it later on, and I was very relieved.
I decided to go swimming in the ocean for a while and it kind of felt like I was at home again. I love the ocean and swimming in it, especially back at home. It also kind of made me miss home, because I used to go to the beach all the time in summer. It is so nice having a home so close to the beach. I can get comfortable with the waves, get a tan, cool off, hangout with friends, and more. It is just so awesome and I really miss it. Anyways, I am really glad that I got to enjoy a fun day out in the water at the beach again.
When we got back to base, I was so happy. I finally finished my last expedition of the semester. It means that parent weekend is getting closer and closer. I couldn’t wait to go back and sleep in our bunk beds. I was also very excited to see people at base like Nicole and Kevin. It was just a very great day.
Overall, I really enjoyed staying at the island. I also liked swimming in the waves of the ocean again. I probably wouldn’t go back though. Anyways, it was a fun last expedition, and I can’t wait to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment